Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sincerely Fro Me to You ~ Taking you back to my Roots!




Ok, so it was 1991 and I obviously discovered Sun In. And mood lipstick. Wait........in my defense I didn't know any better.

I've already introduced you to my mom. What I didn't say was that when she got pregnant with me, I sort of interrupted her plans before she was old enough to live free. Ya know, like a hippie. Little did she know before she could take a breath after having myself and my brother and sorting out her life; disco was king and most of the communes were breaking up. That did not deter my mom. Instead once she and my father split up, she found places to live that matched her Earth Mother persona. I started my pubescent times in Colorado where we ate all natural WAY before it was cool. (And just for the record ~ I NEVER thought it was cool) I tell you all this so you can understand my mother rarely wore make up and wasn't particularly concerned with her appearance. So I certainly had no reason to be concerned with mine.

I have always had a dual personality (who just said multiple?, I am not!); for example: I was a bit of a feisty tomboy but loved to nurture dolls (in private) wayyyy longer than I wanted anyone to know. So it took me a bit longer than the other girls to catch on to "beauty skills". I waited to wear a bra until I was a large B cup and I couldn't hide the girls anymore. When I approached my mom about shaving my legs, she suggested waiting as long as possible because I'd have to do it for the rest of my life. She then proceeded to have me feel her razor stubble. When I informed my mom that I had first gotten my period she gave me a OB (applicator less) tampon. Ahhhh, NOPE! She shrugged as she had "rolled her own" in the past and to this day I don't want to contemplate what that entails. I went with the maxi pads until my junior year of high school.

My father remarried and I went to live with he and my stepmother from 8th grade until I graduated from high school. My stepmother was the antithesis of my mom. She NEVER came out of her room without her face on. She only wore high heels (even jumped rope in them), and had a wardrobe to die for. She is girly girl to a T. But whether she thought I already asked my mom for beauty tips and just didn't take them, or I would ask her when I was ready, or enjoyed laughing at the Polaroids of me with my rings around the eyes, I don't know. She never passed on beauty tips.....especially not the secrets.

I remember experimenting with make up freshman year of high school(think Twisted Sister), but before long I opted for the clean face look. I carried that look off for way tooooooo long.......like until about 8 years ago! When I needed to get dolled up I would put on lipstick and mascara.

Once I got to college, all the girls were using Sun In. I tried it a few times, but was never consistent ~ ergo the roots! No one told me how bad the two tone look is!!!!! Two tone cars were all the rage then......but for your noggin?~ not so much!

As for the mood lipstick; if you are fortunate enough not to know what it is let me enlighten you: the tube costs less than $1 and starts off green. According to your mood, it changes colors. It usually did a plum ~ish color for me. It never would tell me what mood that was. Is drunk a mood?

So that's my defense: I didn't know better! What's yours?

Click on this and go see what everyone else is posting this week at We Are THAT Family.

18 comments:

marky said...

Well honestly I think you are beautiful with or without Mood lipstick! Sun in turned my hair an awful orange!
I never had much fashion/make-up help either, and figured out what little I know, by default!
Interesting insight of your mom. I secretly wanted that kind of free lifestyle. But my folks weren't at all like that.

Kristen said...

Oh, those were the days! Just the words Sun In and Mood Lipstick took me way back. I used both. Both were scary.

Thanks for playing along. Too funny!

Darla said...

Oh yes, good ol Sun In. I used and abused that stuff.

marigold said...

Didn't Sun In make your hair smell funny, too? Or was that just me? Anyone? Bueller? =) Great post!

Anonymous said...

Is drunk a mood? Hee!
I bought my mood lipstick at the state fair and I was so cool!

Mama Smurf said...

Man where was I?? Ive never heard of either one of those. I'da been all over them both!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

My name is Jamie, and I, too, was a Sun In abuser.

Thanks for the funny post!

Anonymous said...

I think you look beautiful. Even with the lipstick. Ha. i never wore makeup until after I was married. Now I'm afraid to leave the house without it!

Tami said...

I think you should find that lipstick and start wearing it again!!

Bahama Shores Mama said...

Neurotically Yours..........are you trying to get me drunk????

Alicia said...

I so appreciate it all..the Sun-In, the mood lipstick, the confusion. My mom was a hands-off mom, and I had to figure all that stuff out on my own. Still am, to some degree.I feel for you!

Anonymous said...

I was a total late bloomer, too. My idea of a hot lookin' outfit in high school was baggy jeans and an oversized T-shirt, no makeup, hair in a ponytail. I grit my teeth in rage at the thought of the size six body that was hidden for years. Now I hide behind oversized t-shirts because of baby-damage. Damn.

Valarie Lea said...

Oh my goodness, this is a good one. I was the 5th of 6 kids, 5 of whom were girls. I guess the all just assumed that I had naturally aquired all that beauty knowledge. I guess they really were not paying attention to me, because I have pictures to prove that I had no idea what I was doing. :)

Aimee said...

I myself am diggin the chunky gold hoops you are wearing in the picture. I had a pair just like that, only they were electric blue.

Because I was styling. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you probably looked pretty cool at the time. What's the use of trying to be trendy if you can't laugh about it later? :)

Tammy said...

I totally remember the mood lipstick, yet had totally forgotten about it.

Love the photo and the story!

j said...

You REALLY look nice in the photo. And I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about with the sun in and Mood lipstick. I managed to avoid sun in because a girl in my grade did it and looked terrible. No WAY was I going to do that. But I DID wear the lipstick, poorly.

Be blessed.

Jennifer

DD said...

Oh God! Sun in. that is freakin hilarious. :) Thanks!