Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Making a list, checking it twice



Rocks in My Dryer is holding What Works for Me Wednesday again.


Wanna know what works for me? Basic staple items kept stocked. Cleaning items, paper products and toiletries are things I always have at least doubles of. When I am opening my second to last one of these, I put it on my weekly shopping list. Then I rotate and put the new one in back and move the others forward. I know it makes no sense as most of these items don't expire, but I feel better about it.


I also keep coke, milk and bread on my list, whether I need them or not. I type my shopping list. Yes, I realize I'm one of those. I have a saved document that has my list broken into categories and the above three mentioned items are already typed into it. Then I gather my scrap paper from the kitchen where I write down things as I use them up and then after I've meal planned for the week I type up my grocery list. I print it out right before I leave to go shop and when I close the document, I don't save the changes! The document is ready the next time for me with the categories and these three items. I then bring a pen, pencil, crayon or highlighter to mark things off while I'm at the store. (I've been forced to use lipstick in rare cases).


I can't tell you how much time it saves me to do these two things.
I also can be honest when I tell my kids if it's not on the list.......we aint gettin' it!
We are never without shampoo, toothpaste, laundry soap or Clorox wipes. We ALWAYS have toilet paper, and as Flylady once said, "Nothing says I love you like having toilet paper when you need it" (or maybe I'm paraphrasing here).
Bread goes into the freezer to be rotated out in an orderly fashion. My kids are milk drinkers and we go through about 4 gallons a week. If it seems we have too much milk, I'll plan a meal or snack or treat that uses milk. Having enough coke, always a good plan to make mama happy!
And that, my friends, is what works for me!

Go find out what works for others this Wednesday: click here!~

2 comments:

Tami said...

You are so anal ;)

DD said...

Ok you NEED to go to target and get the life made easier REAL SIMPLE grocery checklist. Its amazing and it would save you a lot of time.