Monday, May 26, 2008

My first time........

The first time I read a blog it was quite by accident. I was googling ideas to make inexpensive gifts for my book club and bunko group. I found these cute bookmarks I made for my book club but I just couldn't find anything for my bunko group (and so you got nada, ladies). I did however do a search with the words~ homemade~ gift~ bunko~ group~ or some such thing and under the results was a listing for Notes From a Cottage Industry.


I clicked on it and saw the cutest picture of cupcakes! It was love at first sight.


I wanted to make cupcakes like that. As a matter of fact, the more I read what she wrote, the more I wanted to be her. She does it all. Great party planner, yard saler, furniture rehabber, baker, speaker, dreamer, home decorator, and mom (now add grandmom to that long list) I was a bit obsessive with reading all the back posts. I clicked on everything. I couldn't get over how much I could learn from someone who didn't know I even existed. I want to be her when I grow up, I kept thinking. That hasn't changed.
Prior to this, I didn't even know what a blog was. I had heard of it, but thought it was mostly a Dear Diary type of a thing. Not for me. After clicking on that one little link, I was hooked. I started to branch out to some of the other sites on her blogroll. Some I liked, some weren't my cup of tea.
As the holidays drew closer, I stumbled upon BooMama's holiday tour of homes. I quickly called a friend who had moved away and we "toured" the homes together over the phone. Then we got busy kicking up our holiday decorations a notch.
My crafting gene that I had been repressing for a few years came out rampant for the next three months. I did burn myself out a bit after going WAY overboard with my baby's first birthday and the craftiness has been dormant lately.
I found some really cool "mommyblogs" and find I really enjoy the ones who mix momminess with humor. I have some mommy friends that when we get together it is always a laugh. So we each started our own blogs the same week. It's been so much fun and I can't wait to see where it takes me. I have stumbled upon so many great blogs in my travels...........and they keep getting better.
What was the first blog you ever read?

4 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

My first was from a friend in my son's playgroup board, Ramblings of a Red-Headed Step-Child. She was my inspiration, still is.

;) Great post!

DD said...

I LOVE the new design!!! Its beautiful!!!!

I don't honestly remember the first blog I read

By The Seat Of My Pants said...

Well, to be honest...I have read a ton of blogs, but most of them have been work/school related. Reading yours is the first that was for ME!

Keeper Of All Things said...

Totally misleading title LOL...