Monday, May 12, 2008

Don'cha have anything to say?

I've been reading blogs for a few months now. I rarely left comments. It's not that I didn't have anything to say.......I was more intimidated with making my thoughts coherent and concise (not always in that order). When I did feel the need for speed, I posted comments under the name " A Lurker". Pretty scary, right? I thought it described me to a T, but was generic enough to hide. I mean anyone could be a lurker, right?

But, now? Now that I have decided to join the ranks of those who write, I CRAVE the comments. When my computer alerts me that I have new mail I rush over to see who has left me a comment. Laundry be damned! Of course, this sets me up for recurrent disappointment as White House/Black Market is just notifying me of the things they are offering this week that I can't afford. Or allrecipe.com gives me the daily recipe that will undoubtedly contain at least one main ingredient that someone in my family won't eat. But I am not to be deterred, no, I am eternally hopeful. I know the next alert will be the one.

So how do I get more comments? I can't decide if I should unabashedly demand comments or just continue to ask open ended statements encouraging one to leave a comment? Do you have any ideas? Leave a comment with your suggestions.

8 comments:

marky said...

I find myself checking for comments on my blog too! It just feels good to know that Someone read my blog ;-)
So now you have a Comment!

DD said...

HELLO!!! Ok, well I followed Valarie Lea's comments to your blong TODAY and I'll be happy to leave you comments if you leave me some.:)
Well Behaved Krissy

Keeper Of All Things said...

I'm have to stop myself from not just picking up the phone. But I'll try. Plus I'm severly handicapped by the fact that I can't spell......

The Mom Jen said...

Comment on good blogs, and most likely, like today....you'll get a comment back!

;) Thanks for stopping by, i'm adding your site to my bloglines!

The McCanns said...

I know....I need to feel validated by comments. It's crazy. Then when I do get one, the glory is so short lived and I'm looking for the next one. I just try and leave a lot of comments and sometimes that gets me back a lot of comments out of blog etiquette obligation. It's kind of like, when you let someone get in front of you in your lane, by golly, they better give me a thank you wave!

A Cottage Industry said...

You get what you give, sweetie! That's how you get more comments...You posted a nice note on my blog and I wanted to learn more about you, so I clicked on over.
Don't be shy about comments, we all love to get them!
You've got a terrific blog! Thanks for commenting on mine as well,
Tracey

Meredith said...

I agree with Tracey : )

It's natural to feel this way! No matter how many people read your blog, it's still nice to get a comment.

I do think topical questions at the end of posts helps, though.

Gettysburg Mom said...

It's like when you were a kid & you were so excited to get mail.... and your mom (or at least MY Mom) would say you have to write letters to get letters... OR if you just want sheer comment volume (w/o exciting content), host a giveaway... Everyone shows up for a giveaway. :)