Sunday, June 14, 2009

Face Of Betrayal by Lis Wiehl.......My review

This is the first review I've posted about a book I read. I heard about a publisher willing to send a book to be reviewed to anyone with a blog who was willing to write a short review. It was a WFMW tip over at We Are THAT Family. Free book??? Sign me up!


Face of Betrayal is the first book in what seems to be the start of a series as the cover indicates it's a triple threat novel. As in one of one? So it seems.
Lis Wiehl is a former prosecutor and a current legal analyst and commenter on Fox News. Which explains why I've never heard of her. She does seem to bring "inside" language and protocol, but not more than a well researched author would. April Henry must have helped write this since her name is both on the cover and the spine ~ award winning author Lis Wiehl With April Henry. After reading the jacket, I surmise that Ms. Henry is actually the award winning author.

The plot summary itself is what made me choose this book to review from the list Thomas Nelson Publishing provided.


A high school student home for Christmas break from her senate page position, goes missing. Three women, each with a reason to be personally involved in the case ~ a reporter, a prosecutor, and a FBI agent ~ comprise the Triple Threat Club. They uncover a secret blog authored by the page. Theories abound as to what could have happened. Could the blog contain the answer?

I really wanted to LOVE this book. And it started off as a page turner. I loved seeing the friendship and respect the Triple Threat Club had for one another. Strong, smart, human women dealing with life while working a case was highly entertaining. I liked the suspense of the added twists and turns to create more possibilities for ~ Who Done It?

Which leads me to what I didn't enjoy. The transparency. I figured the WHOLE thing out before I was even halfway through the book. I traveled a few paths while reading this book that I hadn't seen coming. But in the end? I was left feeling disappointed. Maybe I've been spoiled by the likes of Jodi Picoult, but I now expect my legal thrillers to have HEART and SURPRISE endings.


If indeed this book is the first in a series, I'd consider reading the next if only to see where the Triple Threat Club members are in their lives. But my mystery expectations will be lower.


I highly recommend to each and every book lover who has a blog to check out the Thomas Nelson Book Review program. I love to read and read daily. This did feel like a school assignment and it's been many years since I've been in THAT situation, but I'm looking forward to giving it the old college try again ~ pun intended.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips on the book reviews. I have a blog which is an online book club you might be interested in the address is www.honeysread2.blogspot.com I also have a craft blog www.homemakinghoneys.com Anyway I am so going to have a look at the link you posted for book reviews!! Great idea!

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Ahhh..book reviews. Gotta love them! Had a friend give me a book written by his brother. Free book, wheee... Only catch? Please review it and post it.

Like you I wanted to like the book but it sucked. ..sigh...

Thanks for the review. I'll steer clear of this one.